– A recent report published by the Harvard Heart Letter stressed the importance of quitting soft drinks for their potential negative health effects, and to replace them with natural or flavored water.
Dr. Katharine Riccrod, professor of medicine at Brigham and Women’s Hospital of Harvard University, who participated in a large study on the link between soft drinks and the risk of strokes or heart attacks, said water is always the best choice, but there are many options to make it more appealing and flavorful, like drinking a cup of water that contains fruit slices.
If you’re seeking for a low-cal alternative for soft drinks, you can try flavored water, which is available in cans or bottles and can be either sparkling or regular. You can also prepare your own drink at home. But, if you do not have the time, you can buy a bottle of fruit-enhanced water, which has a place for sliced fruit, or other flavors such as peppermint or cucumber to intensify the taste.
There are more ideas for other options to add flavor to your drinks:
– Sweet flavor: Frozen fruit, such as strawberries, berries, or pineapples, can be added to iced water or orange juice can be added to sweeten sparkling water.
– Refreshing: Some fresh mint leaves can be added to iced water.
– Strong: Unsweetened black tea or unsweetened coffee (decaf or regular) can be added on ice.
– Delicious: You can try cold herb drinks with their different flavors, such as pear, peach, raspberry, licorice or mint.
– Strong: You can drink vegetable juices such as tomatoes, cucumber, and celery. You can also prepare your own blend by using a mixer or juicer. If you buy ready vegetable juice, make sure to choose a low sodium type.
– Spicy: A few drops of honey can be added to hot water, then sprinkle a few of your favorite spices such as cinnamon, or cayenne pepper.